Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday's Tip to Be Greener!


My dear friends over at Home Grown Families have inspired me to try to post more tips for my followers about being more GREEN!  Here is my first and favorite one to date! HA!! :) 


Did you know : The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated last year that 840,000 tons of telephone directories went into the municipal waste stream in 2008.

I have an answer.....OPT OUT!!

Go to Yellow Pages Goes Green where you can quickly opt out of receiving the 5 bazillion page book!!!


And what about your neighbors you let that book sit on their porch for 5 months before it starts to disinegrate or the other neighbors who have never recycled a thing in their life??

SIGN THE YELLOW PAGE PETITION, AND HELP EVERYONE!! The petition is for an on demand system, where phone books will not be shipped unless you ask for one- kind of like recycling bins.

Who knew you could save up to 19,000,000 trees in just 5 minutes!! Amazing!

Thanks Melissa for such an inspiring post!  You better believe I already OPTED OUT for our Yellow Pages!  I think I have seriously received 2-3 copies over the past 8 months!

GO GREEN READERS!!!  GO GREEN!!!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks! That is a great tip! With the internet so readily available and convenient, we have only ever used our phone books once in the 5 years that we've lived here. And that was only to call and report that our electricity was out. :)

Kristin said...

I'm glad you let us know about that, we haven't used our books once!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for reposting this!!I greatly appreciate it!! If you have a green tip, I would love to feature you too!!! I have a blog hop coming soon, and trust me you will be one of my guest hostess!!I love your blog!1 Thanks again!

Discovering the Me in Mommy said...

We're so old-fashioned that we still use one! But you're right; if it won't be used, just opt out!