Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

4 Generations - Debbie Lewis Kiesel, Lillian Georges Kiesel, Allyson Kiesel Long, and Sophia Long

May 10, 2009 -- The day I realized the true meaning behind Mother's Day. Until this year, I always looked at Mother's Day as special, but also as "another holiday." With only 4 months under my belt as a mother, I realize the reason we formally celebrate and cherish our mothers! A mother is the person that always loves you no matter what, celebrates your growth and development every step of the the way, hurts when you hurt, and on and on and on!

I thought I would wake up on my first Mother's Day and feel different and somehow "extra special," but I didn't! I felt the same way I always do.... tired but curious what the day may hold! I guess I had envisioned Mother's day as a day to kick back, relax, and be pampered! Treated like a queen bee! Isn't this what we always tell our Mom's on Mother's day??? "Don't worry about anything today, b/c today is YOUR day. I will take care of it for you." It isn't that way though, is it? As a mother (I am quickly learning), your job never ends.... you are always on call... always the one people turn to when there is trouble or chaos... the one with the solution to the problems.... the one that knows what is ALWAYS going on.... the one that runs the "mothership" and keeps it afloat? You can't turn "on and off" the mother switch because once a mother, always a mother! And today after some reflection ... I am OK with that! I don't want to turn off that switch.

Ever since 2006 when we were married, we both had a strong desire for a family. (Ok, I must confess I wanted a family a little earlier than Nate.) Everyone told me, "Your life will never be the same..... Be careful what you wish for.... Kiss your sleep goodbye .... you can't ever go back to the way it used to be." My usual reply, "I know, I know (but thinking to myself, yeah right people, don't squash my dreams!)."

In reality, I had no idea what "being a mother" would entail. I completely underestimated the amount of work that a baby brings, but incredibly underestimated the love that grows daily for your child! How can so much work be so rewarding? All of that being said, becoming a mother has made me a better person! It is teaching me how to love unconditionally and to die to my selfish wants and desires and seek those for the greater good!

I love Sophia more each day, and also find myself loving my dear husband more and more each day! He is an incredible man and an amazing stronghold!!! I couldn't be the mother I am today without Nate standing right behind me! I am quickly learning that a family is one of God's greatest gifts to us on this Earth!

Finally, my own mother made my Mother's Day VERY special with a wonderful gift: A Mother's Embrace white gold diamond necklace!! This is a gift that has such special meaning, and I will cherish it forever!

Sophia found much enjoyment playing with the toole that mommy's Mother's Day present was wrapped in! The littlest things in life bring such pleasure!! Don't we sure miss this aspect as an adult?


Three Generations: Nate Long, Delores Long, and Sophia Long


Great-grandma and Great-grandpa Kiesel and Sophia Long!


In other news, today was Sophia's (past) 4 month check-up at the doctor's office! :) Dr. Gill didn't even recognize her b/c she had grown so much!!! She was 13 lbs 11 oz (45-50%), 25.5 inches long (75%), and her head was 17 inches (90%). She is growing like a weed!! I told Sophia there is nothing to worry about with a head circumference in the 90% b/c that means she has lots of large brain cells working to retain information!! Basically -- She is going to be a smarty pants!!! She was comforted by this fact and kept smiling!!

She also received many compliments on her cute watermelon dress that Grammie Kiesel picked out for her!! As you notice she is sitting pretty in the first picture.....


then she does what is becoming a habit.... lifting her dress!! Guess this means I am going to have to always have a onesie on her!!! Daddy said hopefully she will stop this action by the time she is 2-3 years old and won't start back up until she is married!! :) HEHE Funny Daddy!!


Until we "type" again....

Allyson and Sophia

1 comment:

DEBSIK said...

Lillian Georges Kiesel- Can I please have some prints of these pix! Sophia and the tulle is to die for- Im so glad I saw that in person!
Being a mom is the BEST thing in the world!!!!!