Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Halfway to the checkered flag!!!


Strap on those helmets and fire-proof vests, we are halfway to the checkered flag! Thankfully, we are going downhill from here…the first 20 weeks uphill were rough, but well worth it!!

Peanut and I had our 20 week check-up today. Everything is moving along quite nicely. Peanut is growing stronger each week. We also received the official US results (from our 19 week US)…so for those of you out there that are medical professionals, you might enjoy this next section…sorry if it is boring to others! I find it all quite intriguing.

First things first, with all Peanut’s measurements, we are actually measuring almost 1 week earlier than expected, which moves our due date up to Christmas! The further we are away from 2009, THE BETTER!!!

The fetal weight estimate = 1lb 11oz….which is a lot bigger than expected! Maybe those omega 3's are making the baby grow faster and the brain MUCH bigger and smarter!!! (Right Naomi?)
Peanut had normal cardiac activity, with an excellent 4 chamber view. My placenta was fundal and posterior which means “no previa!” Always a plus! There were 3 cord vessels and all extremities were WNL. The spine, cerebral ventricles, choroid plexus, cerebellum, posterior fossa, face, diaphragm, stomach, kidney’s and bladder were all WNL.

So, that is the full US report minus all the other “measurements.” Won’t bore you with those!!

According to our weekly emails, they also say ---

-Peanut is about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. Isn’t that a perfect analogy since my husband is a banana LOVER and eats 3-4/day!! I have now two monkey’s in the house with me!!!
-Peanut’s swallowing more these days which is good practice for the digestive system
-Peanut’s also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. (Yum Yum, isn’t that a fun fact??) But do read on….. “This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper." Now, well isn’t that something to look forward to!!!
-They say Peanut has established sleep patterns by now….that is for sure. Peanut usually wakes up about 7:30-8:30am and is very active, then he/she takes a long nap and wakes up when it is time for mommy to eat lunch, then Peanut is active in the early afternoon (1-2), goes back to sleep, and then is always active on mommy’s drive home from work (3:30-4:30pm), tries to go back to sleep, but mommy likes to make Peanut workout with her on the elliptical machine for 35 minutes – so I doubt the sleep is that great!! Peanut then usually is active again from about 7-9 and then hits the sack for the night!! Man, wouldn’t that be great to keep this routine after he/she leaves the tummy?? Mommy thinks so!

In terms of changes in “Mommy” they tell me that I SHOULD have gained about 10 lbs thus far and I can expect to gain another pound or so each week from now on! For those of you that are close to me, you know this is the HARDEST part of being pregnant for me… so far this sistah has only gained 7 lbs and she sure hopes she doesn’t gain 1 lb/week!!! YIKES is all I can say!!! The crazy thing is I am not really eating more than I was before I was pregnant – guess it is all in Peanut weight and fluids!! Or the fact I can’t totally rock out at the gym these days!!

Well, I think that was a long enough post… thanks for hangin’ in there and reading all of my babbling!! Until the next post….

Love,
Allyson and Peanut

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear everything went so well at your appointment. How exciting...you're due date is moved up! Come on tax break :) :) You look wonderful, so try not to fret so much about those pounds. You'll take off everything you put on quickly since you're so active and eat well. Remember, those extra calories and pounds are all for the health of little Peanut! Any new US dates?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Allyson, I can't beleive you've only gained 7 pounds..wow you are amazing!!

I've been keeping up with your blog and have enjoyed reading it, by the way!! We all need to get together so I can see that growing little belly!!
Glad you three are doing well :)