Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Easy Healthy Breakfast Recipe

I don't know about you, but I always love oatmeal!  I recently started eating a bowl every morning as I believe I am developing a slight lactose intolerance during this pregnancy!  I had to for-go my normal big bowl of Cheerios or Kashi cereal in the AM.  I try to shake it up a bit by adding raisins and cinnamon or craisins and vanilla yogurt.   

When we are rushing around trying to get to the gym, a quick but healthy breakfast is always nice!!  I found this recipe and tried it out on my Sunday School class.  It tasted amazing!  I can't wait to make another batch for this weekend!  One of the best parts is you can make it the night before and bake it in the morning.  Perfect when you are in a pinch for time in the morning.  They also cut into really nice dense squares, so they are good for the car!  (Not too many crumbs .... even with a 2 year old eating it!)  

Give it a try .... you can mix and match the additives ... the reviews recommended adding different dried fruits or you could add fresh fruit.  I think I will add fresh diced sweet apples in my next batch!!  I think fresh blueberries would be amazing too!!  You could add some ground flaxseed to get extra nutrients as well!

  • Amish Baked Oatmeal (serves 6)

  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • large eggs
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • teaspoon nutmeg AND/or teaspoon cinnamon (I used both and a little more b/c I love the taste of these)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • cups oatmeal (regular or quick)
  • (Allyson's future addition) 1-2 large sweet apples diced really small (after making it, it seemed a little bit dry, so I think added apples diced up would give it more moisture and also apples go well with nutmeg and cinn)

Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 55 mins

Directions:

  1. 1 Grease 1 1/2 quart baking dish
  2. 2 In a mixing bowl, drop in eggs and beat well.
  3. 3 Add brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla, nutmeg or cinnamon, and salt. Mix well, no lumps.
  4. 4 Whisk in applesauce, apples, and milk, then add oats.
  5. 5 Stir well, and refrigerate overnight. (you can make and bake at the same time, don't have to refrigerate overnight)
  6. 6 Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-45 min, or until set in the middle. (may need to adjust the time if you don't refrigerate overnight)
  7. 7 Serve hot with warm milk, vanilla yogurt, or fruit poured over.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/amish-baked-oatmeal-117211#ixzz1P9gJgqap



What is your favorite make ahead breakfast recipe?  

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's not make ahead but it only takes 2 min every morning...a bowl of oatmeal! :) I just buy a big container of quick oats because my 3 yr old loves it too. I just add milk (microwave for 2 min), cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar. It's a great way to start the morning!

Unknown said...

I just prepped my first batch of this for the morning- and it smells amazing! It almost smells like apple crisp!

I did dice up 2 pink lady apples to put in, and upped the applesauce to 1/2 cup (because I am using single serve containers and didn't want to waste). I also swapped out 1/2 cup of the milk for unsweetened almond milk and used 2% for the rest (hoping to cut down on some of the carbs) and used Splenda brown sugar blend for the same reason.

When I mixed everything but the oats, I had my husband smell it. He wanted to eat it with a spoon straight from the bowl! Haha.