Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Power of a Positive Mom



Last week Nate and I finally made it in our new Half Price Book Store. It has only been open for over a year!! Oh well, better late than never huh? I found the book "Power of a Positive Mom" on clearance for $1! I had a friend read it and recommend it, so I thought I would check it out! I am only into the second chapter, but am pretty impressed by it! It begins with two chapters devoted to the Portrait of a Positive Mom. After that introduction, the book is broken down into 7 major principles: The Power of Encouragement, The Power of Prayer, The Power of a Good Attitude, The Power of Strong Relationships, The Power of Your Example, The Power of Strong Moral Standards, and The Power of Love and Forgiveness. At the end of each chapter there is a "Power Point" Section which includes a scripture to read, topics for prayer, and an activity (memory verse, journal, etc).

As I mentioned previously, I am only 2 chapters into the book, but I found this excerpt to be helpful, challenging, and yet freeing ....

... (pg 19) ... "I came to the humbling realization that there are times when our kids can and will make it without us -- even should make it without us. It is tempting as mothers to step in and solve all our children's problems, thinking we are the only ones who can. The truth is our children need experiences that teach them to cope without us. If we take care of every need and are present in every situation, how will our children learn dependence on God?"

WOW? What an amazing truth and thought provoking idea!!

I will close with an amazing verse that sums up our role as mother's as God sees it ...

Colossians 3:17 "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."

... pretty powerful huh?

Anyone else read this book before? Any other books you suggest?

Allyson

1 comment:

Adam, Jenn, and Isaiah said...

sounds like a great book! Were there any others? Or I may have to borrow yours! Glad you're enjoying it! :) I've enjoyed the last 2 days of Bible study.