Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sophia's Super Porridge

This morning I made up a batch of Sophia's Super Porridge!! I took a picture of the key ingredients and thought I would post the recipe. I know lots of my faithful readers make their own baby food as well!! If you click on the picture, you can enlarge it on your computer screen to read the black text I added! The great this with this recipe, is you can add, subtract, or substitute pretty much anything ingredient to your babies liking!! I used a few ingredients I needed to get out of the freezer!

Sophia's Super Porridge

(You can make this recipe gluten free by leaving out the oats, everything else is GF)

1/2 cup steel cut oats, ground into a powder
1/2 cup millet, ground into a powder
1/2 cup buckwheat, ground into a powder
1/4 cup brown rice, ground into a powder
Cinnamon to taste (probably used 2-3 tbsp or more) -- we LOVE cinnamon!
3 brown bananas (mash as put into the pot)
1 cup bean puree
1 cup organic pear juice
7 cups water

Grind all grains into a powder (can grind together). Bring 7 cups of water to boil. Once the water is at a boil, add the powder and start whisking! Whisk, whisk, whisk to prevent clumping!! After whisking for a few minutes, I turn the burner to low-medium and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. I added the pear juice, bean puree, cinnamon, and bananas. Whisk, whisk, whisk!! I let it simmer about 5 more minutes and then poured the porridge into my trays for the freezer!

From start to finish, it only took me about 30 minutes!! See, it is so easy and you can make the recipe with ingredients you have around the house. You don't really even need the juice, but I wanted to use it up, plus it adds a little sweetness to the porridge!!

The finished product!! These trays should last us awhile!!

Interesting facts about the ingredients (from www.wholesomebabyfood.com):

1) Millet is rich in B vitamins, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, and is even considered a good protein source.
2) Buckwheat is not related to wheat nor is it a grain. Buckwheat is actually a seed however it is tossed into the whole grain category. Buckwheat is gluten free and makes a wonderful food for those who are gluten intolerant (celiac disease) or who have an allergy to the wheat protein. Buckwheat is high in fiber and contains Iron, Niacin, Folate and even Vitamin K.
3) Oats are high in fiber, calcium, protein and even some B vitamins. Whenever possible, you should purchase steel cut oats as opposed to rolled or quick cook or instant oat(meal)s. Steel cut oats are minimally processed (they are simply cut into small bits.) so they retain their natural levels of fiber, protein, calcium and more.

Anyone have any favorite baby food recipes they would like to share? I would LOVE to have more nutritious recipes for Sophia!!

Allyson

No comments: