Thursday, January 31, 2013

Veggie-loaded soup ... YUM!


The more time goes on, I am realizing that Sophia has a very mature and open-minded pallet!  Her brother Jackson, NOT SO MUCH!  The kid is actually quite picky, which I thought it was going to be next to impossible for a child coming out of this house to be this picky!  I hope this time will pass, but it is really hard to figure out what this kid likes to eat!  I have to admit, my biggest struggle is the evening meal.  He eats his hot steel cut oats/millet oatmeal in the morning, mixed with a little organic applesauce.  He eats 8 oz of Stoneyfield Organic Plain (yes, plain) WHOLE milk yogurt for lunch with a few crackers and fruit pieces.  Dinner is so tricky!  He will eat something one day, and won't touch it for the next week!  I just don't get it??  He is also like a dog ... he only likes wet, sloppy meat!  You think I am kidding?  Nope!  The kid will eat about any chili or soup, but give him ground beef or baked chicken and he spits it out!  I am getting frustrated b/c he isn't eating many veggies these days (b/c I am not making baby food for a 17 month old anymore)!  He only really likes roasted squash and sweet potatoes.  Green beans ... gag.  Peas ... gag unless they are in my Guinness Shepherd's Pie.  Edamame ... sometimes gag, sometimes like.  The kid will eat veggies if they are "wet" in a soup!  I know, SO WEIRD!!  The kid also LOVES plain black beans.  He would eat 1/2 a can if I let him!

I have started to turn to more soups in order to get the kid to eat veggies and meat!

I found this recipe in my "Mothering" magazine and changed it slightly!  It was SO SO YUMMY!  Great way to pack lots of nutrients for a very healthy, low cal, low fat soup!

Roasted Acorn Squash Soup with Parmesan and Sage

2-3 lbs of squash (I used butternut b/c that is what was in the house), recipe called for acorn, peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes
4 tbsp of EVOO
4 carrots, roughly chopped
2-3 ribs of celery, roughly chopped
1 leek, roughly chopped (white part only)
1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
4 cups of chicken broth
1/4 tsp of white pepper (I used black b/c it was all I had)
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
4-5 fresh sage leaves, chop into very tiny pieces prior to adding to soup

Preheat oven to 375.  Lightly oil a baking sheet.  Roast the squash for 30-35 minutes.

Heat 2 tbsp of EVOO in a large stock pot over medium heat.  Add the carrots, celery, leek, and onions, and cook 5 minutes.  Add broth and cook for another 30-35 minutes (until the carrots are soft).  Add squash and spices (including fresh chopped sage) and cook 5 more minutes.

Transfer soup to a blender or food processor and PUREE.  Puree to your desired consistency (took me awhile to get that!)

Top with Parmesan cheese!

Yum Yum!  It was a huge hit in our house for the kids!

Enjoy a warm bowl of soup on a cold day like today!

Do you have any favorite healthy soup recipes??

No comments: