Friday, March 30, 2012

Trying to be more like Jesus

I am quickly learning how God has an awesome way of humbling us through the innocence of our kids.  Many of you probably read my previous blog post Raw Confessions.  I mentioned I have been really short on patience over the past two months.  It seems that Sophia always knows what buttons to push at that perfect time!  I am sure your children probably know your "zero to very hot" buttons to push as well!  I have been so disappointed in myself on how I am handling her "button-pushing."  I know I have been short with her, which then leads to many tears and frustrations!  Nevertheless, I am fighting clear disobedience and disrespect, both of which need addressed, but in a better manner.

I can't remember what she did (or didn't do) yesterday that irritated me, but I told her she needed to go sit in her bed for a reflection time.  A dear friend of mine shared with me that she uses the word reflection time, but she wants her daughter to reflect on what she SHOULD be doing, instead of what she did that was wrong.  She said that she felt reflection time provided for learning and growth.  I told Sophia she was to pray to ask God to help her to be more respectful and obedient to her mommy!  I always tell her that she can get out of her bed when she can come out and show me a happy heart.  She honestly will sit in her bed until she can come out with a happy heart (= a huge smile).  It is hard to be in a bad mood when you are forced to smile!

She had been back in her room for awhile and I went back there, peeked my head around the corner, and found her praying to God that she would be more obedient!  It just melted my heart.  I gave her another 10 minutes, then asked her if she had a happy heart.  She said "No mommy I don't have a happy heart yet.  Can I please get my bible and bring it into my bed so that I can learn how to be more like Jesus."  I was so humbled by my 3 year old.  I told her she could read her bible in her bed and she came out 20 minutes later with a delightful attitude and very happy heart!

Wow, if only I took the time to search myself and have a happy heart when I am frustrated with my day/situation/life.  I need to take my 3 year old daughters advice and learn how to be more like Jesus!
 
Playing babies and acting like the mommy!

Has God used your children to humble you?



No comments: