Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Where does all the weight go?



Many of my friends are pregnant right now and we always talk about the dreaded "pregnancy weight gain!"  Ok, for some it might not be dreaded ... but for most of us ... that is the part of pregnancy we least enjoy!

Recently, I was reading in one of my fitness and health magazines and came across this amazing breakdown of weight gain in pregnancy!!

I thought I would share it with you b/c it was rather encouraging for me when that time comes again for The Long Family! :)

Where Does The Weight Go?  You probably feel like all the weight you're gaining is excess poundage, but it's not!  This is what's supporting and nurturing your baby!


Breast Tissue: 1-2 lbs
Baby: 6-8 lbs
Uterus: 2 lbs
Placenta: 1.5 lbs
Amniotic Fluid: 2 lbs
Blood Volume: 4 lbs
Stored Fat: 4 lbs
Fluid Retention: 4 lbs 

Isn't that a great breakdown of everything?  Guess that is how they get the average weight gains of 25-30 lbs!

Finally, science behind a number! I LOVE IT!!

So ladies, still continue to eat healthy, raw, nutrient-dense foods, but the occasional splurge is totally worth it!

1 comment:

Adam, Jenn, and Isaiah said...

Interesting and good to know! :) Thanks for sharing!